CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Why?

I read on MSN today of two (yes, two!) shootings that took place this week (one in Germany and one in Alabama). The man in Germany killed 15 people I think, at a school, and the man in Alabama killed 11 people, a lot of them family.

First of all, how can someone kill another person? How? I mean, I guess if it was a serious life or death situation, I could understand. But to just kill someone innocent or someone you don't even know? Why? Why kill someone who has done nothing to you? I just don't get how you can take away another person's life. And not only their life, but what about everyone who needs that person? family, friends, what about their lives now? What is a four month old going to do without her mother? What is her father going to do without his beloved wife? And they are gone for what? Because some unstable person decided he would have some fun with a deadly weapon for no apparent reason?

Secondly, why? I know a lot of these people have some sort of mental problem. But really, I think it all leads from depression. Most of these people were seen as good members of society - good people even. But what happens when good people get depressed? They lose control. Nothing makes sense anymore. They are miserable, and misery does not breed good people. I in no way think these are excuses for what these people do. If you're having a problem, well, do something about it - something good. Never pick up a gun or any sort of weapon when your depressed. Because you might just make the biggest mistake of your life. It's no wonder they kill themselves afterward. How could you do something so terrible - the worst possible sin even - and face yourself? They're cowards.

Every time I hear about one of these shootings I go through so many emotions. I think the most prominent one is fear. Initially of course you think, well that won't ever happen to me. I'm a good person and I don't know any crazies that would do anything like that. Well, first - that's what everyone says about those people who go on killing sprees, that they are "good people who would never do anything like that". And second, you don't have to know the person. They will shoot at you whether they know you or not. And they could come anywhere. They can come to your college, in your class, where you're eating lunch. They know no time or place.

The second emotion would have to be sorrow. All those people who were killed had lives - they had friends and family. They had people who loved them and those that they loved. And now they're gone. It's just so unfair.

I know that Heavenly Father is there every time, though, welcoming his children back who were wrongfully taken from Earth. And that's why the gospel is so important. Especially to prevent things like this. I would hope that we as Latter Day Saints have been taught well by our parents and that we know how to handle ourselves in such ways that we really would never go to such lengths. It certainly gives some perspective on life.

0 comments: